Application Deadline May 1st
The South Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Educational Foundation (SCRLEF) manages scholarships on behalf of a variety of organizations that support hospitality education. These scholarships are designed to assist students who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to the hospitality (restaurant, foodservice, lodging, tourism) industry.
Scholarship Amount Available
Each year the scholarship amounts vary depending on donations and local participation. Over $261,500 in scholarship awards have been given to 201 students in the past 17years.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application
- Current transcript
- Essay (500 word minimum, 1000 word maximum)
- Please submit an essay explaining the following: your reason(s) for applying for a scholarship and why you feel you should receive one, the type of career in the foodservice or hospitality industry you plan to pursue, and your future goals.
Only online scholarships will be accepted and must be completed by 12 am on May 1st. Transcripts must be uploaded with the application.
The SCRLEF Scholarship Committee will determine the number and value of scholarships to be distributed each year.
- Applicants must be currently employed in the hospitality industry and/or enrolled and major in a culinary arts, baking and pastry, hospitality & tourism or related field of study at an accredited institution.
- The scholarship is to be used toward the pursuit of an undergraduate or masters degree at an accredited post-secondary institution. Students that are not enrolled for fall semester 2022 and spring semester 2023 are not eligible.
- Applicants chosen as scholarship recipients must be classified as full-time students in order for any funds to be disbursed to the educational institution. (Full-time: enrolled in at least 12 hours or the equivalent, according to the guidelines of the educational institution for full-time classification.)
- Half of awarded funds will be applied towards the fall semester. The other half of remaining funds will be applied towards spring semester. No exceptions.
- Scholarships are disbursed directly to the educational institution only after the T.H.E. Foundation office receives confirmation of full-time enrollment from the institution’s records/admissions office.
- Recipients may be recognized and presented with their awards at annual scholarship events. Details (time, place, date) will be provided to recipients as they become available.
- SCRLEF reserves the right to make exceptions based on circumstance.
- Judges will evaluate applications on the following:
- Presentation of application (spelling, punctuation, etc.)
- Industry-related work experience
- Grade point average
- Essay (well written and within word count)
- ProStart/LMP Enrollment
- Recipients will be notified of scholarship award prior to June 15th via e-mail only.
- Scholarship checks will not be distributed until August